Thursday 29 September 2016

Day 4. September 29, 2016

I started this morning by dropping into Albert and hitting both the bakery and cafe for coffee and pastries while Sara got ready at the hotel.  I could really enjoy this rural French lifestyle.  Our plan was to sit and enjoy breakfast at the Canadian Memorial at Courcelette one last time.  My French is not great, but surprisingly good enough to get by.  Unfortunately, I had a great deal of difficulty getting my coffee in a go-cup.  The language barrier was fine - it was the cultural barrier that stood in the way.  Everyone here likes to sit and enjoy their coffee at the cafe.  The Canadian needs it in a paper cup to go-go-go.  She eventually relented and found an old sleeve of paper cups in the back for my fancy french coffee.  The coffee was delicious.  I probably should have super sized though.





After a nice breakfast at the Memorial, we hit the road for the two hours drive down to Le Havre on the Normandy coast.  This is where the Canadian No. 2 General Hospital was located and where Timothy Kelly died on September 30, 1916.  Though the trip took us two hours - that was at the break-neck sped allowed on these highways.  I cannot imagine making this trip in 1916 in a field ambulance.  That would have been a bumpy 240km ride of hell.  Ironically, Le Havre was also where Tim Kelly had disembarked in France prior to his deployment on the Somme.  His last communication with the family was a post card that he had sent (and that I proudly own), from Le Havre on September 5, 1916.



After a little traffic in Le Havre, we checked into a great hotel.  Thanks for the idea Jack!  Le Havre is a large port city - so night and day different from the more relaxed and quiet atmosphere of the Albert region.  We went for a walk in the old downtown and did a little shopping.  There is a bakery on every corner here.  And for just 2 Euro - you get a small loaf of french bread stuffed with meat and cheese.  I think Im in heaven!  We made it down to the beach as a storm blew in - so it was kind of miserable.  Scott from work had told me about the French love for topless beaches.  Not here - the best we saw was an old lady with her velvet track suit flapping in the wind.  At least I hope that is what it was.

That's about it for today.  Kind of boring after the first few days.  A trip to the gym and sauna and then early to bed as tomorrow is a big day for us.  Below are just some random pictures of Le Havre.





I have been planning this visit for roughly 12 years and am honestly a little nervous and apprehensive now that we are here.  I don't know why.  The Ste Marie Cemetery is 8 minutes from our hotel, and I have the route all mapped out.  On another note, there is a big family reunion in Lethbridge tomorrow to mark the day.  I guess there will be roughly 75 relatives there.  (I am sooooooo glad I'm here!)

Things we learned today.

1.  Sara and I had a slight disagreement in the mall over the location of the entrance to the sporting goods store.  I'll grudging admit that she was right, but damn they use good wind cleaner here.  (That was embarrassing).
2.  Old single dudes hanging out near the hotel hot tub.  Is that actually cool anywhere?
3.  It is really fun to drive a standard transmission again.  Little Andre makes me feel like we are Faster and Furiouser.
4.  We learned that at the cash register, if there is a discrepancy, I count with my fingers in French.


Thats all for tonight.  - sorry.  We'll try to learn more tomorrow. Thanks for coming along and the nice comments.


1 comment: