Wednesday 5 October 2016

Day 10. October 5, 2016

Day 10 started in the Town of Trim Ireland.  It was a beautiful morning, so I was up early enjoying the trail system around Castle Trim.  Todays run felt much much much better than the one in France.  I've now run 5 k in three different countries.  What was noteworthy for me, other than the amazing scenery, was that I crossed the River Boyne 3 times.  This small little river (about the size of the Blindman River back home) was often navigated by raiding vikings.  We don't have that at home!  I also watched trout rising downstream of a heron looking for breakfast.  Really cool.  The Irish are so darned nice - the trails were busy and almost everyone had a pleasant greeting.   Maybe they were just worried about me :)

After getting Ms Sleepyhead out of bed, we did a tour around Castle Trim.  I talked about the castle last night.  Below are some more pictures.  I think that of all the towns that we have visited in Ireland this week - Trim is my favourite.  I really wish that I could spend more time here.  The funny part is that it was a last minute decision 24 hours ago to visit Trim.  Im glad that we did.




Leaving Trim, it was a short 40 minute drive to return our car to the Dublin airport.  I have no interest in trying to drive in Dublin - so for the remainder of the trip we will be using public transportation.  We caught a bus into the city center and set to getting some shopping done.  Up until now, we have really done zero shopping over the last two weeks.  Sara is not a shopper, and I'm pretty focused (I know what I want - buy it - get out), so today had some military precision to it.  

One thing that I thought would be neat to see was the Book of Kells at Trinity College.  Again, I can't do justice to the history of this book here - but my simple explanation is:  It was created about the year 800 by Columban monks on the Island of Iona between Ireland and Scotland.  It may also have been heavily influenced by the monastery on Lindisfarne (The best Mead comes from there :) ).  It is an illuminated (illustrated) version of the four gospels of the Bible with latin text.  The colours, Celtic art and originality of the script makes this a very special book.  The Book of Kells was moved around a lot over the last 1200 years to protect it from everything from raiding vikings to Oliver Cromwell's army in the 1600s.  It has been at Trinity College for safe keeping since 1661.  There is currently an educational interpretive display leading up to actually seeing the book.  Photos are not allowed - so disregard the one below.


Thats about it.  A slow day.  Shop shop shop.  Yawn.

Things that we learned.

1.  Downtown Dublin is crazy super busy.  There is a lot of road construction going on - but both the vehicle and pedestrian traffic is way busier than anything that I have seen before in London, Stockholm or Edinburgh.  The mass of people certainly takes its toll on both Sara and I who do not like crowds.
2.  The Irish ladies love me here.  I could get used to this!  Maybe this is why our Kellys left Ireland in the early 1800s.  We were driven out by the other jealous men?  Just saying'.
3.  Several times today we were identified as Americans by our accents.  Take off eh?  Hosers.
4.  Lots to see and do here in Dublin - but we both miss the Irish countryside already.  
5.  This morning for breakfast, I thought that it would be appropriate to have a coffee and a scone.  Sara on the other hand had chicken wings.  I LOVE that kid!  

C.K.


1 comment: