Saturday 8 October 2016

Day 12. October 8, 2016

Today was the long trip home.  We were up at 0400hrs.  Sara had no problem getting up today.  She was very excited about getting home and seeing everyone - especially Typhoon.  Our first flight was 5 hours from Dublin to St. John's Newfoundland where we went through Canada Customs.  A two hour wait then the 3 ½ hour flight to Toronto.  Another 2 hour wait before the long the 4 hour flight to Edmonton.  We were out of the airport in record time, and Sherry was waiting for us for the 1 ½ hour drive home. Needless to say that we slept very well.

It seems like we visited two distinct worlds.  Though Ireland and France were very different, they were both beautiful and everyone treated us incredibly well during he entire trip.

I appreciate that the last week of our trip was pure holiday, but we never forgot that our purpose was to visit and pay our respects to Great Grandpa Tim Kelly.  I had known for many years that I had an appointment to keep, and am eternally grateful that I was able to keep that date.  Health issues with my stupid leg 5 days before we left almost sidetracked everything - but at the last minute, medical clearance to fly was given.  Whew!

We learned a lot along the way, and Remembrance Day will never be the same for us.  Like all of our Blog followers, I had a basic understanding of the history and always proudly wore my poppy in November.  The surreal honesty at the sites we visited was overpowering and touching.  My perspective has not changed, but it is now a lot clearer.  I would encourage everyone, if they ever have the time and means, to go on a pilgrimage like ours.  Not a large tour of the Memorials in France, but rather a personal and intimate visit.  The result was an overwhelming sadness and appreciation for all of those who made the ultimate scarce in both WWI and WWII (Not just Timothy Kelly).  Sara's unplanned connection with 16 year old John Charles Alexander who was killed February 6, 1917 will forever touch me.

September 30, 2016 was a day that I will never forget.  My job is not done yet as I have several resting places to revisit with a return package from France.  It is my hope that in some small way these visits will bring a little peace and closure to a centuries long tragedy.  Our visit actually answered a few questions that I had often wondered about, and I'm glad we went.

A big thanks to everyone that followed along.  It was an extremely personal journey and I'm glad that we had our closest friends and family along with us.

C.K.

.


No comments:

Post a Comment