Sunday 2 October 2016

Day 7. October 2, 2016

This morning started off like I finished yesterdays post.  Thinking of Lee's Dad, and my affinity with endless canola fields, the smell of hay, and solid dusty ground under my feet.

The ferry ride was actually relatively smooth after 0700hours, so we slept in until 1030 or so.  We weren't too hungry for breakfast, but the coffee was good.  At about 1:30 we could start to see the Irish coastline and enjoyed watching it from outside.  This may shock some readers - but Ireland is green.  With even more green behind that.  It was really very beautiful.


As we made our way through Customs, there were three Irish residents, Sara and myself, and two really sketchy guys on our little bus.  Full marks to the Customs agent - the two sketchy guys were unloaded from the bus with haste.  Awesome!  Car rental was smooth.  Nice automatic this time as I don't want to have to shift with my left hand while trying to navigate the wrong side of the road.  

As we drove through Ireland on our way to the Rock of Cashel, we both noticed how much it was like home here.  Unlike France, most of the larger roads have shoulders, the speed limits are reasonable, and the houses are more open.  (It seems most of the residences we saw in France were brick facade, or shuttered windows - very cold).  In Ireland - houses have windows.  We saw some sheep, and lots of dairy cows.  I didn't find the driving on the left side of the road to be too stressful today, and hope that doesn't change.  Sara is a great navigator, though sometimes I think she is jealous and fights with the GPS lady for my attention.  Sara did take a photo for me as I screamed in excitement passing the Magners Cider factory.  (Brewery?  Distillery?)  I knew at this point that my stomach was better,



Tomorrow we plan to visit the Rock of Cashel and I can explain it then.  Tonight, at the base of this hill, we visited the remains of Hore Abbey.  I don't know too much about them, but they date back to 1266 which is really neat.  These old building always seem to have a magic when you are in them, and this Abbey was the same.


Thats about all for today.  Pretty laid back.  Kind of nice actually.

Things that we learned today.
1.  Like in Scotland, I still try to get into the wrong side of the car.
2.  The U14AA Sting tied their first game of the year.  Awesome!
3.  Everyone here speaks English, and that is so nice.
4.  I'm losing my edge.  Sara has been right in 90% of our arguments on this trip.  I need my mojo back.
5.  As Sara has discovered, SnapChat, FaceTime and Emojis go through data pretty fast.  She might have to kick it old school and just text her Mom and sisters.  Hopefully we survive.

No comments:

Post a Comment